May 19 - Four Chaplains

May 19 – Four Chaplains

My goodness, I discovered another story that my father told over and over in his sermons.  I had completely forgotten about this one, but of course I wept as I read the story again.  I remember Dad taking me down everytime he told the story … so it seems appropriate that I cry as I read it now.

The date was February 3, 1943 and the Dorchester, carrying 902 men was off the coast of Newfoundland.  The Coast Guard had alerted the captain of the possibility of a U-boat moving through the sea.  He had sent his men to sleep that night with orders to wear their life vests, just in case they were torpedoed.

At one o’clock in the morning the German U-boat launched a torpedo which hit the Dorchester, killing many men immediately, throwing many more into a panic.  It was dark, it was icy cold, ammonia gas flooded the holds.  Wounded and terrified the men made their way to the decks.  Many had ignored their captain’s orders and had chosen to not wear their life vests.

Four chaplains, a Methodist, a Jew, a Roman Catholic and a Dutch Reformed had befriended and cared for the men for months.  They stood on the decks assisting the men as they got into lifeboats.  Lockers were opened and life vests distributed, but it was not enough.  These four chaplains guided the men and comforted them as the ship was sinking into the water.

While each of the chaplains had obeyed the order and worn the life vests, in turn, each gave theirs up to men who were scrambling off the sinking ship.  The Dorchester sank 27 minutes after the torpedo hit.  One of the 230 survivors recalls seeing the four chaplains, arms linked, standing on the deck praying as the ship went down.

“Four Chaplains Day” was marked by Congress as February 3rd, remembering the compassion and heroism of these four men.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The history of Christianity is filled with our humanity. Through it all, though, God continues to work. Join me as I explore the events in history that have taken us from Jesus' resurrection to today. It's a fascinating story!